One evening last semester I started receiving phone calls from a variety of unfamiliar phone numbers. I picked up the phone, and a computerized voice would say “connecting” and then ringing would start. For the first few of these calls, it would just ring and ring until an automatic disconnection. However, on about the third or fourth, someone finally picked up - an owner for a restaurant. At that point, it clicked for me. I searched for each of the phone numbers as they came in, and the pattern became clear:
- 651 631 3398 - Khan’s Mongolian Barbecue, Roseville, MN
- 718 797 2255 - Mexican Grilled Chicken, Brooklyn, NY
- 205 967 0040 - P.F. Changs, Birmingham, Alabama
- 864 885 0380 - Great Wall Chinese Restaurant, Seneca, SC
- 916 739 8888 - New Canton Restaurant, Sacramento, CA
- 509 326 2226 - Cathay Inn, Spokane, WA
- 509 332 0728 - New Garden, Pullman, WA
- 253 630 3689 - Golden Phoenix Chinese Restaurant, Kent, WA
- 253 630 3638 - Lucky Star Chinese Restaurant, Covington, WA
- 425 432 5027 - China Light, Maple Valley, WA
- 253 630 8636 - Hunan No. 1 Chinese Restaurant, Kent, WA
- 253 373 9250 - Chopsticks, Kent, WA
- 253 813 0900 - King’s Palace, Kent, WA
I called the usual parties, but no one owned up to the sweet prank. But, given the region of the last few establishments, I figure it’s an old friend / enemy from the westside.
For the perp. hopefully reading this post, you succeeded in giving me a well needed laugh during a rough semester. Thanks!